Friday, July 11, 2014

Printable Alphabet Blackout Game


We’ve decided that our youngest son isn't quite ready for elementary school, so he'll be starting alternative kindergarten in the fall. (He has a late summer birthday.)

We're finally getting disciplined about helping him on letter and number recognition. I'm still trying to understand how he learns best, so I'm trying LOADS of different activities.

This is one of our most recent: Alphabet Blackout.


What you Need
Alphabet Blackout cards
Letter call cards
9 game pieces per player (we used poker chips)

Download a free PDF of six blackout cards and the letter call cards from Google Drive here.


Set Up
Cut the blackout cards apart; laminate for durability, if desired. Cut the call cards apart and shuffle.



How to Play
With the call cards shuffled, stacked, and placed face-down, one player draws the card on top and shows it to players. Children should announce what letter is featured before looking on their card to see if it's featured. If it is, they cover one game piece on top of the letter. Play continues like this until all nine letters on one players card are covered. The first player to get "blackout" wins!


I'd originally planned to only play until a player had three game pieces in a row, but my son's attention span was longer than expected and he wanted to keep playing! Our oldest son agreed; this was a better blackout game!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your wonderful printable! My daughter will love this game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing! thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is doing very well on my Facebook page this morning! I am going to print and mail it to my nephew's family so they can work with him. He is going into first grade but still struggles with his letter. It's awesome! I see you've got some dominoes for me to print too. Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm so glad you're using/sharing my resources, Anna!

      Delete